St. John Lutheran Church established its Christian day school in the fall of 1864 to provide the children of the congregation and other children of the community with a Christ-centered education. The school has grown from one teacher in one classroom to one classroom per grade, including a preschool and year-round child care program. The members of St. John financially and prayerfully support the school as a ministry to Christian families and as a mission outreach to the community as encouraged in Matthew 28: 19-20. St. John Lutheran School, locally known as SJL, is state-recognized and also carries voluntary accreditation through the National Lutheran School Accreditation Commission - a rigorous process that requires verification of ongoing improvement.
Our church and school fill an entire city block at the corner of Main and Stafford Streets in downtown Plymouth, WI. Our sanctuary was built well over 100 years ago and is a classic combination of traditional Protestant ornamentation, including beautiful stained glass windows, and many modern touches as well. Our school building, the core of which was built in the 1950's, has been regularly expanded and remodeled into a building that we are proud to call home.
St. John Lutheran School is an integrated ministry under the ultimate control of the voting membership of St. John Lutheran Church. The school board, comprised of SJL congregation members, is responsible for creating the school's policies and procedures. The principal is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the school and carrying out the policies of the school board and the congregation. Our pastors are directly involved with the families and operation the school and are ex-officio members of the school board and the faculty.
Current School Board Members
Mrs. Jean Handrow (Chairman)
Mrs. Amanda Farr (Vice Chairman)
Mrs. Janice Abraham (Secretary)
Mrs. Lauren Begalke
Mrs. Stacy Dippel
Mrs. Nikki Grimm
Mr. Jeff Jacobi
Mrs. Samantha Puetz
Rev. John Schultz
Mrs. Nola Schultz
THE LUTHERAN SCHOOL SYSTEM
St. John Lutheran School is a member of the South Wisconsin District of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS). Our synod oversees more than 2,000 schools that are each independently operated by their local congregations. Most of our teachers were trained in the Concordia University System operated by the LCMS and all teachers hold valid state licensures in the areas that they teach.